January 27, 2011

Best Cheap Whiskey

Yesterday's post about booze and cocktails received a lot of comments and some good advice so I figured I'd continue the discussion but shift focus to the slippery topic of which is the best cheap whiskey in the land. For the purposes of this inquiry let's stick to Kentucky and Bourbon whiskey's please.
IMG_6137
I'm voting for Evan Williams. It's about $14 for a liter (an important distinction since .75's are pretty much the norm), you can find it everywhere, and most importantly it's decent enough to sip on with ice. With other cheapies you can mix them fine, but they taste like shit straight or on the rocks.

Who's got suggestions for other good cheap bottles? I'm always on the hunt.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old Overholt. rye, but still kentucky. it's my new Even Williams. it also goes especially good with ginger ale (and tree).

J.R. Hunter said...

I have Knob Creek and Makers Mark in my fridge all the time. I know it is probably some rule not to keep it in the fridge but I like to drink in neat and cold.These do not fall in the "cheap"zone.

mark$ter said...

We like OLD CROW up here, and on payday when you don't notice so much, EAGLE RESERVE. One sip, and all of a sudden you're in a bathrobe. Don't know how, but it happens.

Timothy said...

I tend to prefer Old Heaven Hill which runs about $11 for a 750mL. I had a bottle of it at both of the Bandit cross races at the hobo camp.

Anonymous said...

For some reason the places around here sell Bulleit incredibly inexpensively so that is my go-to "cheap" whiskey. That said, Evan Williams works for me as well.

agleck7 said...

I've found some good deals at chi/lake a bunch.
Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig both below $20 for a bottle. Can't remember if it was liters or .75s and not as cheap as EW, but still a really good value. Also JB black is really good and can be found cheap

Logan said...

My vote goes to Early Times Whisky (yes without the e). Its around 11 for a .75 and mixes like jack. It is sippable, but not as sippable as evan.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the good ole E Dub being the best of the land. My first whiskey was Evan and I have tried others but they just dont compare!

Matt said...

x2 on Old Crow, Mark$ter.

Drew said...

I have to go with Markster. Eagle Rare is the lowest denominator when it comes to bourbon. It used to be under 20 bucks a bottle; but now it's around 24. One more little opinion...ditch the ice; bourbon is best neat. if you like it cold, they make whiskey stones to handle that.
http://bit.ly/fZK1oX

fuzzy said...

Old Grand-Dad.