May 11, 2010

Crazy?

It's 40 and raining today. Rode my bike like I do everyday of the year regardless. I should be used to this by now, but the comments from the 98% get under my skin every time. "You RODE a BICYCLE today? You're CRAZY!" First, wipe that patronizing and smug grin off your face - the same one you would give to someone with a disability that was trying out a new sport.
Know what's crazy? The fact that you have become such a slave to luxury that you're now incapable of moving yourself around in adverse conditions. The fact that you would call off your plans if you couldn't put your ass in a car on a rainy day. Not to mention the fact that you probably believe that Olive Garden trains its chefs in a little village in Italy or that you giggle along with the laugh track of Two And A Half Men. That in the future when everything has dried up and you're on your hands and knees begging for a lattechino, you'll still be able to justify it. I'm tired of your easily accessible, mindless, and non-contributing lifestyle. Let me ride my bike. Worry about yourself - you have alot of that to do.
That's all. For now. Want more? Cause I can go all day on you pukes.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 and a half men.... CLASSIC.

antihero1972 said...

ha,ha as a daily commuter here in SLC i got a kick out of this. Its cold and raining here too, but i still push n pull everyday. cheers-

Anonymous said...

here in l.a. people drive 3 blocks to the gym, and use the treadmill.

blair said...

BRAVO.

Anonymous said...

first, a semantic issue: the people you have a problem with aren't "smug." ignorant or naive, maybe. but smug means offensively confident in one's abilities or superiority, which is how you are coming across. you could be encouraging to those people who dont realize we can bike in 40-degree rain, instead you attack them. i dont think this blog is the place, rather a forum where cyclists are saying others shouldn't be biking in that weather, which it doesn't sound like those people were. they might be just impressed with your intrepid ways? kind of like your grandma would say "this weather? you're CRAZY!" you're preaching to the choir here and it left a bad taste in my mouth

dannypaws said...

yeah I get the frustration and all but this left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

Anonymous said...

This blog is called "BIKE JERKS." It's not called "BIKE NICE GUYS" The way I see it, it should always leave a bad taste in your mouth.

dp

mark$ter said...

If you think you're being judged for some sort of prize, be offended. I realize there is room for everybody, probably more than most, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for consideration from those who might do something differently than something someone might do themselves. I get the impression that those offended are probably the same people that get patted on the back by the same bubble they dwell in. Branch out.

Jeff said...

daddy gave you the keys to the car and you scratched it backing out of the garage.

the wizard said...

I get all this, but seriously, 40 degrees is pretty cold.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, leave my lattechino out of this.

dannypaws said...

I was just agreeing with the post above and saying it left a gross taste in my mouth. I pretty much like everything I see on bike jerks though and have viewed a good amount of the content...

"non-contributing lifestyle" give me a break...

mark$ter said...

I guess I'd be curious to hear what contributions to the greater advancement of humanity come from a job in some sort of "business", supporting national chain stores, restaurants, and bars, adding to the ratings that keep absolutely moronic television programs in season, and driving everywhere no matter what, are. What exactly does that lifestyle DO? What fucking difference does that life make whether it happens or not? When 250 million other people ring the bell and get a nut everyday day in and day out? Toil and death. No brains, no headaches. I'm not saying riding a bike makes me superior in anyway, but I think it makes a difference when I can at least accept that there are lots of ways to get a result as opposed to ONE. And that it's not CrAzY :) OMG LOL. Imagine if humans used their fucking brains and LEARNED something. Would that leave a bad taste in your mouth?

David said...

Not only did I ride my bike that day but I did it with a f'd up shoulder day two after I was involved in a hit n run accident that sent me to the ER (I biked myself there). Kudos to you...does that make me smug?