May 26, 2010

Chrome Tobruk Slip On Test

As you may or may not know I am a huge fan of Chrome's old slip on the Milo. Without a doubt the best shoe for toe clip riding that I have ever used, so when Chrome announced that they were doing another slip on I knew I had to get my hands on a pair.

The Chrome Tobruk
IMG_2653
IMG_2655

One of the coolest things about the shoe is that Chrome keeps the front of the sole flexible but adds a stiffening insert that starts behind the ball of the foot and continues back through the whole shoe adding much needed pedaling stiffness.
IMG_2657

I've been riding in a pair of the Chrome Kursk lace ups since last fall and have been really enjoying them. There were a few moments during the breaking in process that I wanted to throw them off a cliff, but I persevered and they've settled in nicely. I am not alone in that regard, several of my friends who received shoes during the "Turds for Gold" have had the same experience with both the struggle and the eventual positive outcome.

As I write this I've only used them a couple of times, but I'm looking forward to giving them a good thrashing. They are lightweight, seem to breathe well, have a nice pedaling platform, and are slip ons (I've always had this paranoia about getting laces stuck in my fixed drivetrain). The bar was set pretty high with the Milo's and I am eager to see how these new shoes stack up.

4 comments:

stevoelmo said...

Where can I buy these from? I used to ride best in my vans classics, not I use 6.0's, which are great for BMX and XC but for although offering great grip the the chunkyness doesn't work to well with fixed so I want a nice light pair.

Jeff said...

you can get them from Chrome.

chromebags.com

clove said...

I'm also a big fan of the Milo slip ons. They turned out to be one of my favorites for riding and walking.

Unknown said...

How is the sizing? I want to order a pair online but some of the comments on the Chrome site about weird sizing make me nervous. I normally wear a 10.5 or 11. Any advice?