July 14, 2009

Rebuilt Rear

Last night I went out riding in the neighborhood and trashed my rear wheel. It was my first ride on the Holdfast straps and my foot position when doing a rockwalk is completely different on the Holdfast's vs. my usual clips and cages. It's just a whole different feel, and I have to relearn the trick a little bit. (I'm super pumped to own a pair of the Holdfasts and give them a try. Some folks swear by Powergrips but I've never had the heart to try them out. They always seemed super sketch. Now that there's a way nicer alternative, it's definitely time to see how the other side lives. Big thanks to Jeremiah at Holdfast, be seeing you soon.)

While attempting to figure out the trick my rear wheel finally gave up the ghost. It had been put out of true and into semi-true so many times that the spoke tension was all over the map and the tight clearance of the Volume frameset doesn't allow for running a wheel that is shaky. My last three rides have ended with my tire rubbing on the stays.

I've even been forced to downsize the tire from a 32c to a 28c in order to give my rear wheel some more breathing room in the Cutter's tight stays. While I have been totally pleased with the ride of my Cutter, I find the lack of attention to the important details maddening. Give me dropouts I can use and more tire clearance.

IMG_0888
Anthony at Handspun rim swapped a new Deep V for me, and this will be the first time I've dealt serious abuse to a rebuilt tied and solder setup. I'm anxious to see how it goes. Hopefully with a smaller tire and a more stable rim, I'll be having more fun.IMG_0894

No comments: