January 17, 2012

Greenway Mugging

Saw this on Bike Love today and figured it made sense to put it in front of as many eyes as possible.

Please watch out, be careful, take care, and look out for each other.


6715115883_2eb533a682_b
bloody girl by ebbmart


At ~8:30 pm a guy on a bike waved me down, to warn me of some suspicious guys he felt were trying to jump him. He asked "should I call the cops?" To which I replied "HELL YES!" and pulled out my Kryptonite for the remaining block I was to be on the Greenway.

As I was preparing to turn off into the park after the Freewheel (between 10-11th), I saw what looked like a bike on its side (blinkies askew) and some shadowy figures moving clumsily, manuvering what looked like a bag or back pack. I realised I had music playing and lifted my earflap to the sound of a female voice screaming.

Krypto out, I rushed the group, yelling in my deepest, loudest voice to "GET THE FUCK OFF HER, LEAVE HER ALONE!! THE COPS HAVE ALREADY BEEN CALLED!!". As I raced toward them, lock swinging above my head, the two attackers ran up the convienienty placed stairs to 12th Ave; leaving a bloodied, sobbing and very shaken girl.

After making sure she was not too badly ingured - her eyes tracked well, she was able to answer questions (what do you want, I'm not an EMT), covering her exposed hands and head; and sitting her down on my bag - I called 911 and did all that fun stuff.

Big TOTH to this girl - when asked by myself and the police if the thieves got anything, she blithly nodded no, and then described all the things I would freak out if I lost (keys, phone and wallet) having been in her backpack, that they took. She also *smiled* just a bit when I asked if I could take a picture. What a badass.



Huge WOTK(ryptonite) to the scumbag POS assholes that did this to her.

Please be VERY CAREFUL on the Greenway at night or early morning, people. One of the guys was wearing a t-shirt, which, to me, means they live in the immediate area. I didnt see their features well enought to make any descriptive statement about them, as I was focused on the girl, but it would seem they wear dark clothing and work in pairs, or more. If you see suspicious activity, DO NOT hesitate to stop and/or avoid that section of trail, and call 911 to report it. He should absolutely not feel guilty, but if the guy that warned me had called it in, it is possible that this girl would not have been accosted, or at very least, the aggressors might have even been cought on the bridge (wishful thinking)

Related - I woke up this morning from a restless sleep, and a dream where I U-locked one of the muggers to a fence by his neck... I think I still had some adrenaline pumping through me.

3 comments:

dude said...

hey Jeff - thanks for re-posting this. I agree, get it in front of as many eyes as possible.
ebbmart

crossn81 said...

it is also been posted on 3 e-democracy.org neighorhood forums. This happened near my house and is very upsetting.

Bruce Baird said...

I'll keep my eyes out for a guy in a t-shirt, though a slightly more detailed description might be helpful.