May 30, 2012

Favorite Things: Salsa Cowbell Bars

IMG_3408

Since I built my Space Horse, the Salsa Cowbell bars, have become a new favorite of mine.  I'm currently riding them on the above and a Macho Man prototype.

IMG_3607

There are a number of reasons I like them and they all add up to a riding position that allows me to stay in the drops longer and more comfortably than any other setup I've ridden.  I'm not sure if it's just because of the more aero position or perhaps it's easier to breathe more efficiently or some shit, I'm not a scientist, but I do know that whenever I'm hunkering down in the drops on any bike, I feel like I'm moving faster and thus desire to spend more time down there.

IMG_3608
For starters they have a shallow drop which allows the rider easy access and a more sustainable riding position.

IMG_3615
They also sweep back further than most bars to put them in easy reach

IMG_3611
The flare is nice on my Space Horse and I definitely recommend it for a touring setup, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it on a cross bike.  I'm thinking that perhaps to really make up my mind I need to also try the Salsa Pro Road Medium which is purportedly the same bar but without the 12 degrees of flare.

They MSRP for $45 in the 3 version, with a higher priced lighter "2" version also available.

Highly recommended.


No comments: