February 3, 2010

Meriden B. Co Hip Flask

IMG_5150
As some of you know, one of my prized possessions is my huge antique flask. Lately I've been bumming on it, because it has started leaking, and it's really difficult to use a flask you don't have 100% confidence in. The last thing I want to do is throw it into a backpack and have all my stuff smelling like whiskey. It leaks from the top cap, and I'm thinking that all I need to do is get some new cork and hopefully it should be good to go.
IMG_1188
I bought the flask on ebay four years ago for about 5 bucks plus shipping, and it has been my companion on many a ride and adventure. I've always had many questions regarding it. Who is RA? (the initials) When was it made? etc. Well tonight I did some digging online and found some answers.
IMG_1189

First of all it was made by the Meriden B Company

Meriden B Company was a manufacturer that made silver products out of "black silver" the kind of silver that was economical during the time period. This form of silver still had the flare of expensive silver. Meriden B Company offered silver products made from unrefined silver and before nickel silver alloy mixes so the silver was actually 100 percent!

The Meriden Britannia Company was formed in 1852 in Meriden, Connecticut. The Rogers Bros firm was purchased by Meriden Britannia in 1862, thereby acquiring the 1847 Rogers Bros line. In 1878, they had a store at Union Square in New York City and a manufacturing facility in West Meriden, CT. According to their 1878 catalog, the company won a first place medal at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the "large variety of silver plated white metal hollow ware, of excellent quality and finish, and of tasteful designs." They were one of the original companies that joined together to form the International Silver Co. in 1898.
IMG_1190
Since my flask has the "International S" on it, it must have been made after 1898. Several reports also have similar flasks valued between $100-300, so it looks like it was a pretty sick deal at 5 bucks.

So that clears up a few questions, as for RA. I'm sure I'll never know, I do feel comfortable saying that I'm sure he was a hell of a bro


the old cork
IMG_1191

10 comments:

DoubleOhTwo said...

Yep, rad. More posts like this, Jeff, cheers.

Anonymous said...

cut the end out of a dimension grip.. Q# HT1310.. could you use a rubber hose washer?

Jeff said...

I was thinking of maybe just trying to find an oring, but I'm a little scared that it will fall in. We'll see how it goes with the cork.

Anonymous said...

check this out....

too bad for the dent on it though..

Unknown said...

Jeff, I have an old flask and when it too leaked, I sorted with a piece of cork cut shaved from a wine cork. Worked a treat. Wine was good too.

Jeff said...

I can't believe you spotted the dent from those photos. i can't see it, but yes it's dented. Just one more reason that this bad boy is a daily driver and not a show pony.

waddo, glad to hear it worked out with you. I'm crossing my fingers.

Rickey Avalon said...

I knew I'd find you baby. I never gave up hope, and I knew you wouldn't either.

Dude, I want baby back.

Anonymous said...

i have one of these if you want another one. mjm@optonline.net

Rick S said...

I have a nearly identical flask. been polishing it up tonight. looks great.Mine has JR and is smooth on front. On the lid holder is the # 1330, very close to yours. What does this mean? My cork looks like your but I don't use it so will leave it.Try to send photo later. Nice seeing your trophy Jeff. Later

Anonymous said...

i have the same flask but mine is better condition than yours. i would like to sell it do u know how much its worth ?